In October 2011, Dogs Trust carried out an online survey of 5695 pet owners to find out more about their experiences of searching for pet-friendly rented accommodation. The survey revealed that:
- Pet owners can take up to seven times longer to rent a home compared to non pet-owners*
- 1 in 3 pet owners could not find a suitable property
- 47% of pet owners who used a lettings agency found them to be ‘unhelpful’
- 97% of pet owners said they would be more likely to use property websites if they had a search option for pet-friendly properties
In 2008, Dogs Trust carried out research to support our Lets with Pets campaign. We surveyed pet owners, landlords and letting agents to find out their experiences of renting with pets. Here are our top line statistics:
- 78% of pet owners experienced difficulties finding a rented property that allowed pets
- 72% of letting agencies thought landlords would not allow pets in their properties
- 47% of landlords gave tenants no reason why pets were banned
- 14% of pet owners kept their pet without their landlord’s consent
- 10% of landlords even ban goldfish!
For a full breakdown of our research results, please contact our press team.
*comparision with findaproperty.com Rental Index 2011 Q2