Good Practice Guidelines
Dogs Trust has put together our Lets with Pets Good Practice Guidelines to help your agency become pet-friendly and set yourselves apart from the other agencies in your area.
Dogs Trust recommends 6 simple steps:
- Explain the benefits of being pet-friendly to all your landlords, such as increasing demand for their property and attracting long-term tenants
- Encourage your landlords to advertise their properties as ‘Pets Considered’ so they can make a decision on accepting pets on a case by case basis
- Advertise your Pets Considered properties clearly on your website and property details
- Add a search facility or filter to your website to help tenants find pet-friendly properties more easily
- Ensure a pet clause is added to your standard tenancy agreement when a pet has been agreed by the landlord
- Talk to your landlords about ways to minimise the risk of accepting pets, such as asking for a higher deposit or taking out landlords insurance that covers accidental pet damage
For further advice to guide you through the process of letting and managing pet-friendly properties, order your free copy of our Good Practice Pack.